Main is our first 100% British yarn. It is a 3-ply yarn on the lighter side of chunky, and is made from the fleece of the Texel breed of sheep. This is a medium grade wool suitable for everyday wear, but not quite soft enough to be next to the skin. It is a breed of wool that wears well and softens over time. This makes it ideal for outerwear such as a warm sweater/cardigan or walking socks, as well as household items such as cushions.
- Made with high quality 100% British Texel wool.
- Chunky weight yarn works up quickly.
- Medium weight wool fiber perfect for durable products such as outerwear and home furnishings.
- Fire resistant, breathable, and resistant to odour, soiling, and water/spills.
- Naturally anti-static = no more static hair when you remove your woolly hat!
- Naturally biodegradable and compostable.
- Each skein weighs 100g/3.52oz with a length of 100m/109yds.
Texel sheep were originally from the island of Texel in The Netherlands. First introduced to the UK in 1970, today they now are a favourite, being the second most common breed in the UK according to the 2012 EBLEX British Sheep Breed survey.
A few years ago when I went to my first sheep shearing it was for a flock of around 400 Texel sheep. It was also the first (and honestly still only) sheep that I sheared myself.