“Rummen” is a word I have grown up with here in the Suffolk countryside. It is part of a dying language: East Anglian.

The word is usually in reference to someone, something, or a situation, that isn’t quite right. Just a little bit odd.

“Thas a bit o’ a rummen.”

That’s a bit odd.

So what better way for me to describe those hanks of yarn that aren’t quite right. Those hanks that are generally called “seconds” in the manufacturing industry.

Maybe I feel they are hideously ugly.

Possibly, despite trying, I just cannot get the dye to stop bleeding.

Perhaps the hank has some knots or joins.*

Or maybe it’s the last few hanks of a discontinued yarn base.

Unless the yarn is felted during the dyeing process, making it unusable, it seems such a waste to throw yarn in the bin. So I won’t do it.

Instead they will be listed in the shop as “rummens”. The “fault” will always be listed so you can make a personal decision on whether you are prepared and/or skilled enough to deal with the issue. Oh, and they’ll also be at a reduced price.

I’m curious though, does you have a local word for the same thing? Let me know in the comments.

*Within the yarn manufacturing industry, it is considered an acceptable standard for a maximum of 3 knots/joins per 100g hank/skein. Though this is rare.


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.